Friday, December 4, 2009

Brussels Sprouts - Friend or Foe?

When I was a kid I hated Brussels sprouts.  With a passion.  I couldn't get myself to eat them without gagging.  I tried everything to mask the flavor, including taking a mouthful of tea or juice (or whatever I was drinking) before putting one in my mouth in the hopes that I wouldn't be able to taste it.  No luck.  I also used to sneak them into my napkin and throw them away.  I think the trick I used most often to get out of having to eat them is to leave the table to "use the restroom" with a mouthful of Brussels sprouts and spit them out into the toilet and flush them.  That way my mom thought I ate them, and I only had to endure the horrific flavor for the length of time it took me to get to the bathroom.  Luckily we had a small house, and I was quite motivated to move swiftly.  It was a great mystery to me how my older brother could actually like them.  He actually loved them - they were his favorite vegetable!  Freak.  I know my mom thought I was being melodramatic when I exclaimed my disfavor with this foul Brassicaceae. But I swear I died a little inside every time I was faced with a plate of those things.

Yet for some inconceivable reason, this year I kept seeing pictures of them and thinking they looked tasty.  I remembered how gross they were when I was a kid, so I don't know what made me think I could stomach them now.  Then again, I hated spinach when I was a little too, and I like it now.  So I convinced myself to try them - to give them one last shot.  I bought the Green Giant package with the butter sauce.  Butter makes everything better, right?  I figured since they were baby Brussels sprouts they might be less bitter.  I was really hesitant to actually consume one of these things once they were cooked, but I was brave.  And I liked it!  I didn't just think it was okay, I actually LIKED it.  I wanted MORE.  It was a vegetable miracle!  And now I have bought them (and EATEN them!) two more times.  Even my DH likes them.  Hooray for maturing taste buds!  I wonder what else I hated as a kid that I might actually like now?  Liver, maybe?  ...Nah!

First photo found here.
Second photo found here.


  1. Oh my god! I had the same experience. I couldn't stomach eating them as a kid but I love them now. Only the kind in butter sauce, and they have to be really cooked, not just halfway. Yes!!

  2. I dont know why you think they look tasty...that photo makes me think of boogers in a bowl. I remember hating brussel sprouts too...and artichokes and mustard...but now i love all that stuff. mmmm...

  3. Spleeness - It's so weird, isn't it? Now if only my taste buds would grow up enough to not love junk food so much, I might actually be a healthy eater!

    D - Aw, man! Boogers? :( I've never had artichokes other than in spinach dip, so I'm not sure what I'd think of them.

  4. OMG. Laughing at D's booger remark.

    I will never eat brussel sprouts as long as I live, butter or not. That and artichokes. I mean, really. The word "choke" is right in it!

    Congratulations on your vegetable miracle! I'm truly happy for you. If someone's gonna eat them, it might as well be you.

  5. Kathy - Hmmm...You do have a point about "choke". And I'll be glad to eat the Brussels sprouts for you!

  6. Brussels sprouts are, were, and always will be, absolutely disgusting. ;-) But I have grown to quite like spinach in all its forms.

  7. Marvin - The first way I got myself to eat (and like) spinach was raw. It wasn't until I realized that spinach in a salad or on a sandwich was quite tasty that I started liking it.